Saturday 24 February 2018

Random side notes

Couple of weeks left in Japan, and I'm still waiting for the culture shock to happen. I wonder if I'll have reverse culture shock when I return to Finland? xD

Funny thing, I've actually had my worst "culture shock" in Finland. This was back when I studied in Jyväskylä, a little town a few hundred km from Helsinki. We went to movies one day, hadn't yet decided what to see but met at the movie theater and checked what they were showing. There wasn't really anything I'd have been too keen to see, so when my friends asked my opinion, I said, I don't know, maybe we could check what other theaters are showing? They gave me a long look and told me there were no other theaters.

No. Other. Movie theaters. That was definitely a shock. And culture related.

Thinking about Jyväskylä (please, don't pronounce it "zaivaskaila". It's closer to "yuvaskula"), I really liked that place, and remember thinking that if it were a bit closer to Helsinki I could even live there. And now, here in Kyoto, I find myself saying stuff like, if Kyoto were a bit closer to Finland.... 😄 Same thing, different scale.

At least there are more movie theaters here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shiisaa yaibiimi?

Going through my photos, I realized I'd really taken an awful lot of pics of the different shisa statues in Okinawa. Shisa are a variati...